Friday, January 30, 2015

January 26, 2015- Edwin and Miriam Get Baptized!

January 26, 2015- Edwin and Miriam Get Baptized!

Hi family and friends!

I just completed an entire week of being on a bike! It’s been super crazy as we've biked in the freezing cold, in the rain, on roads next to highways, and in the ghetto. My companion and I just heard from our zone leaders yesterday that the mission doesn't have an extra car to give to us right now, and so we will probably be riding bikes for the next few transfers, which amounts to 4 or 5 months. So it looks like my cycling merit badge that I earned in Boy Scouts is going to come in handy.

We had a really cool lesson with 18 year-old Jose, who is a friend of Luis. Luis invited him to come to participate in our lesson with him. We taught Jose about the restoration and Luis helped us teach him.  Jose asked a lot of great questions.  For example, after we told him that during the apostasy Jesus Christ's church wasn't on the Earth, then he asked, "So, then which church is the right one?" He said that if he found out that the Book of Mormon was true then he would be baptized! Afterwards, we taught Luis a lesson and he said he'd be baptized, but after he turns 18 in July. Elder Bradshaw and I are going to try to work with him to move that date up.

Friday night we went to Edwin and Miriam's baptism. One of the members of the Newport News branch drove down here to pick us up and then drove us to the baptism. It was really fun to be able to see everyone again but it made me feel a little trunky about not being in Newport News anymore because I love all the people there.  It’s all good because I love the people in my new area, too. It was awesome to be able to see Edwin and Miriam get baptized!  Elder Bradshaw and my trainer Elder Remund found Edwin and Miriam in February 2014. I got to teach them a little when I arrived in Virginia in September and then I got to see them get married in December. My MTC companion Elder McCall was there with Elder Morgan to baptize them.  It was sweet to have all four of us there together with Edwin and Miriam on their baptism day.

On Saturday, the Rodriguez family who are members of our branch, baptized their eight-year-old daughter.  They invited us to the baptism and to the celebration party afterwards.  They had a fiesta and they served lots of really good food. At the party, we met this really chill guy from Honduras named Christian who crossed the border into the U.S. only 7 months ago.  He happens to be a nephew of one of the members. I talked to him for a while about everything from soccer to what he does for work here, to his story of how he crossed the border into the U.S. Christian isn't a member so we got his contact information and we are going to try to teach him.

Sunday night after church we were invited to Rodriguez's house for dinner where we ate the leftovers food from the party. Mmm, Latino food is really good.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Love Elder Cannon 




Me with Edwin and Miriam on their baptism day, January 23, 2015


Elder McCall, Elder Morgan, Elder Bradshaw, Me and Stake President with Edwin and Miriam