Thursday, January 15, 2015

January 12, 2014- News from Norfolk

January 12, 2014- News from Norfolk

Hey family and friends!
Now I'm living in Norfolk, Virginia! It’s pretty cold here because we are close to the ocean and the humidity here on the East Coast just seeps right though the layers of clothing that you are wearing. It’s also been in the 20s during the days this week and it feels pretty cold.

I love my new area. We cover the 5 big cities of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach. There seems to be many more Latinos living in this area than in my old area of Newport News and Hampton, so I'm pretty excited about that. We have a super nice apartment and a really nice gym on site.  The gym is useful to help me work off all the rice, tortillas and beans I eat when we have dinner appointments. My new companion Elder Bradshaw is really cool, too. He speaks Spanish very well and he speaks really fast.

Tuesday, we cleaned our apartment like we do every 1st Tuesday of the month.  Then, I had to pack and then say goodbye to all of the branch members and less actives members and our investigators.  It was hard for me to say goodbye, especially to Jeff and his family, but I know that I'm going to meet some amazing people in my new area too.

Wednesday, we had the transfer meeting in Portsmouth. It was pretty crazy because almost all of the new missionaries coming in to the mission where from Arizona.  I saw two of my Chandler friends, Boston Cameron and Justin Lewis, so that was fun.  I also was able to see my old companion from the Mexico M.T.C., Elder McCall, who is now paired up with my last companion Elder Morgan in my old area of Newport News/Hampton.

After the meeting, Elder Bradshaw and I visited a couple of people, taught a few lessons and ate two dinners. Luckily, both meals weren't too big so it wasn't really hard to eat both of them. The second meal we had was really humbling. We ate dinner at a member family's home. Their house had no insulation, and since it was about 22 degrees outside, it was freezing in the house, too. None of their lights worked, they just had one lamp on for lighting in the kitchen. They fed us cold canned beans, cold meat and tortillas. Even though they had so little they still shared their food with us.

These past couple days I've been able to meet some of the members and some of our investigators. Elder Bradshaw and I have seen miracles happen this week, as we have been able to find new people to teach and have been successful in teaching lessons.
For example, when we knocked at a Salvadorian lady's home and she let us in. We sat down and taught her about the Restoration and she said that she knew what we told her was true and that she would definitely consider being baptized. That was really cool to be able to find her and teach her and for her to express that she felt that what we taught was true.

Well I'm looking forward to this next week!
Love Elder Cannon



Me, Elders Morgan (last companion), McCall (my companion in the MTC and Elder Morgan's new companion), and Bradshaw (new companion)


Justin Lewis (friend from Chandler) and Me


Me and Boston Cameron (friend from Chandler)