Sunday, February 8, 2015

February 2, 2015- Snow!

February 2, 2015- Snow!

Hey Family and Friends!

I just completed my second week being on a bike. I am just starting to get used to be on a bike but it sounds like our biking days could almost be over. We had some interviews with President Baker on Thursday. And I asked him if I should buy a bike since I have been using a junky used extra bike right now.  President Baker said that he didn't know we were still on bikes and that he is going to get us a car. We just don't know how long it will be until then. But it’s been nice to have had the time to be on bikes because it keeps you in shape.

Monday night we went over to teach the family of Lani and Martin. Lani is Hermana Delgado's daughter. Lani wasn't there though, so we taught Martin.  We watched the Restoration video, and answered some of his questions.  For example, he asked, “What is so bad about coffee, because it’s not the caffeine since you guys drink soda? I just bore my testimony that I honestly don't know exactly what there is in coffee that is bad, but I do know that the Book of Mormon is true which means that this church is the true church, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that means that the Word of Wisdom is a commandment from God, so that means no coffee.

Tuesday morning, we went downstairs to exercise in our building’s gym. About halfway through our workout, I just happened to glance outside through a window, and saw that it was all white and the ground was all covered in snow. By the time we actually got outside to ride our bikes, around 2 p.m., all the snow had melted. Tuesday night, we had a lesson with the Delgados. We talked with Hermana Delgado and she said that she knew that the Book of Mormon was true and there isn't anything holding her back from being baptized. The spirit was super strong but before we could invite her to be baptized on a specific date, one of her neighbors came in, and began having a conversation with her. As a result, the strong spirit left and we weren't able to ask her to be baptized. Satan is always trying to oppose the work but we are hoping to set a baptism date with her this next week.

Wednesday, as we were biking we saw some Latinos so we turned around and went to talk with them. While Elder Bradshaw was talking to some guys from Argentina, I talked to a woman from Peru. As I was talking to her she mentioned that some missionaries had told her about Joseph Smith. I asked her if she believed that there could be a living prophet today on the Earth, and she said, "No I don't think so, and even if there was one I wouldn't care." I've been thinking about just how blessed we are to have a prophet today who can lead and guide us to help us choose the right. It is so clear to me that we need a prophet. We also met with Luis, Hermana Delgado's 17 year old son, and he told us he doesn't want to get baptized until later in life because when he turns 18 he wants to join the Air Force.  He says that after he is done with the Air Force, then he will join.  Elder Bradshaw and I are going to try to convince him to join sooner rather than later.

Friday night we were at Victor and Reina's house for dinner and afterwards we taught Victor a lesson. He made us some really good tacos.  Mmm, they were so good. After we ate them, Victor asked me if I knew what type of tacos they were and then he told me that they were tacos de lengua.  In English, that translates as cow tongue tacos. It actually didn't shock me at all or anything because I figured that's what they were. Ever since I arrived here in the field I have heard Spanish missionaries talk about how good tacos de lengua are, so I've been wanting to try them for some time.

Saturday, a family in our branch baptized their 8-year-old daughter and we were invited to attend.  After the program, we did some service for a member.  We raked his yard and fixed his car.  In the evening, we taught two lessons. One of them was with Jamie. We talked with him and he said that he knows that the Book of Mormon is true.  We set him with a baptismal date for March 14th.

On Sunday, during Sacrament meeting, the Stake Presidency was there.  After Sacrament meeting, which is held during the third hour here, all the priesthood holders and anyone else who wanted to stay were asked to stay for a special meeting. The Stake President said that it was the will of the Lord that this Spanish branch should become a Spanish ward. So, he called and set apart the High Priest group and Elders quorum presidency. So officially, we are a ward now, which is awesome!

Hope everyone has a great week.

Love, Elder Cannon