Monday, June 1, 2015

May 18, 2015- Three Letters

May 18, 2015- Three Letters

Hey Family and Friends!!!

This week, I felt like I entered into a time warp. This week probably went by really slowly because there was so much change.  It still was an amazing week!

Monday afternoon, I drove to Chesapeake with Elder Bradshaw and our zone leaders Elder Brown and Elder Crump.  Both Elder Bradshaw and Elder Crump had completed their missions and were scheduled to go home so we dropped them off at the mission home. It was weird to think that they would be with their families in the next day or two. While we were at the mission home, I saw my first companion, Elder Remund because it was his time to go home too.  It was sweet to be able to say goodbye to him one last time. So now besides the companions I have now, all three of my previous companions have completed their missions.

I spent the rest of Monday and Tuesday with my zone leader, Elder Brown. Monday night we went over to the Rodriguez family home, because they wanted to cook me a birthday dinner. They also invited a few more families in our ward over. The dinner was delicious and it was lots of fun spending my birthday with members of our ward.

Tuesday night, Jorge, a ward member, accompanied us as we taught a lesson to Torino.  It was the best lesson I've ever been involved in. Jorge and Torino got along really well.  We were thrilled to find that Torino had read up to 2 Nephi 27.  I taught the entire lesson since Elder Brown couldn't speak much Spanish yet. Unfortunately, Torino has been working lots of hours and as a result we haven't been able to meet with him much and he hasn't been able to come to church either.

Wednesday, we drove to Portsmouth so that I could meet up with Elder Garcia who was coming from his last area in Albertson, North Carolina. Elder Garcia is a sweet missionary. He was born in Mexico, and he moved to California with his family when he was eight. His family met the missionaries when he was twelve and his family got baptized. After talking with each other for a short time, Elder Garcia and I attended a transfer meeting with President Baker where all the new missionaries were seated and waiting for their new companions to come in. There was only one Elder in the crowd that had a Spanish name tag so it was pretty easy to tell which one would be our new companion. His name is Elder Edwards and he is from Utah. He's a sweet missionary. Although his Spanish isn't very good, yet he's been trying really hard to try to speak during lessons. Elder Garcia and I have been doing our best to encourage and help Elder Edwards with his Spanish speaking skills. It is crazy to think that I was in the same situation not too long ago.

Since Elder Garcia and Elder Edwards don't know any of the people we have been teaching or the area and I since I'm District Leader, I've basically been doing everything: deciding where we are going to go and who were are going to teach, what we are going to teach them, taking all the phone calls, and setting up appointments.

On Saturday, we taught a lesson to a man named Dixon.  His air conditioning was very loud.  I could hear because I was sitting closest to Dixon.  Elder Edwards sat next to me so he could hear a little but he didn't really understand anything he heard.   Elder Garcia sat at the end and couldn't hear anything that was being said.  As a result, only Dixon and I were talking with each other for an hour and a half in Spanish. The roles have really switched this past week from me looking up to Elder Bradshaw because of his command of the Spanish language to having Elder Edwards looking up to me because he says I speak really good Spanish. 

Have a good week everyone!
Elder Cannon

May 26, 2015
Hey Family and Friends!!!

I attended a leadership meeting on Thursday and Friday with all the District Leaders, Zone Leaders, Sister Training Leaders, the two Assistants to the President and President and Sister Baker in Portsmouth. On Thursday, I left my two companions in Norfolk, and I drove with my Zone Leaders to the meeting. At the meeting, we skyped with Brother Donaldson, who is the head of proselyting for the Church Mission Department. He talked about teaching shorter lessons more times a week.  As a mission we are going to have to change how we teach and began to teach shorter lessons. I'll be honest, I wasn't really supportive of shortening the lessons, but after Brother Donaldson demonstrated an example to us in a role-play of a seven-minute Restoration lesson, I was shocked at how good it was.  

Afterwards, two Spanish Zone Leaders from Wilson North Carolina and I were assigned to proselyte in my area to practice this new technique. As we were knocking on doors, a Hispanic man was passing by across the street.  We asked him if we could share a quick five-minute lesson with him.  He said we could so he led us over to his porch.  We taught him the Restoration lesson like Brother Donaldson showed us by using the Restoration pamphlets. It was hard, and since it was our first time actually doing it with a real life person it took us 25 minutes.  It was a super sweet lesson and it was definitely a sign from God to us that this is how he wants us to teach lessons now.

Following the lesson, we drove down to my companionship’s apartment and slept for the night.  With all five of us in the apartment, it was pretty cramped. We woke up on Friday and drove back to Portsmouth where we met to skype with Elder Donaldson again. Elder Donaldson said that he's been looking for a mission on the East coast to show all the other missions in the world that this is how we should teach lessons and that he has decided to pick our mission. He told us that as we adapt to this new teaching method, we are going to see tons of miracles and be able to help more people come unto Christ because we are sharing, short and powerful statements with people multiple times a week. Elder Baker is really supportive of this new teaching style, so in the next couple months all missionaries in this mission are going to learn how to teach like this.

On Saturday, there was a birthday party at a member's house. We were invited to come over for dinner. I didn't bother to ask the hosting family if there was peanuts in the food since all of the times that I had asked them in the past they had told me “No.” In addition, the food didn't look like it had peanuts in it; it was just potatoes, and rice, in a sauce. Within a couple of minutes of eating, I started feeling really, really sick. At first I thought that all of the hot sauce I had put on my food was the culprit, so I didn't think further about it. But then, I just felt much more sick so I had to leave and lay down in our car. Elder Garcia and Elder Edwards asked the members if the food had peanuts in it, which the members told them it did. So they rushed back outside and told me, they quickly gave me a blessing, and then they rushed me to the Hospital Emergency room. There was a long wait but they luckily they were able to get me back in a room within a couple of minutes. The entire time I was holding my Epipen in case I started to have trouble breathing but nothing like that ever happened. I just got blessed, I guess, although I did get super nauseous and sick. They put in an IV and put a bunch of Benadryl and nausea medicine into me. We ended up not getting back to our apartment that night until 10:30 p.m., but I ended up being just fine. I'm just going to ask everyone every time before we eat now, even when I've asked them a hundred times before. 

On Sunday, it was really cool because 5 investigators came to church with us. Hermana Sabillion, her husband Cesar, and then Lani and her two kids came.  Lani’s husband, Martin didn’t come because he was off playing soccer. We are working really hard with Lani and Hermana Sabillon. They are so close to accepting a date to be baptized!

June 1, 2015

Hey Family and Friends,

What an amazing week to finish off Miracle May!!! We taught a lot of lessons this weekend with about half of them we were able to have members in the lessons with us. We also set three people with a baptismal date.

On Wednesday, we taught Ruben, who is from Mexico City. His wife and father in law are less active members. We set him with a baptismal date for June 20.

On Sunday, all five Spanish missionaries that are assigned to the branch had to teach a lesson in the combined Priesthood and Relief Society class. Each of us were given 8 minutes to talk on an assigned topic.

After church we had a sweet first lesson with Ramon from the Dominican Republic. Following that lesson, we taught a lesson to Jaime from Honduras and we set him with a baptismal date for July 11. The catch with Jamie is finding the time to be be able to teach him because he is always super busy with work. We are really hoping that we'll be able to see him more than once every few months like it has been in the past.
 I think the biggest miracle of the week though was with Lani. We visited with her on Sunday night because we haven't heard from her for a couple of days. We talked to her for a couple minutes about how they had been doing and then she said, "Guys, I've been thinking a lot the past couple days...and I want to be baptized. What do I need to do to be baptized?" We talked to her and then we set her with a date for June 20!!! We are going to have to work with her a lot to make that date, but she definitely can make it!

Something that really stuck out to me was when we were talking to Jaime and he told us that he knew the Book of Mormon was true. We asked him how he knew it was true and he said; “I know it’s true because every time I open the book and begin to read it, I feel really good inside.” I just want echo what he said and let you all know that I know the book of Mormon is true, too. Every time I open it and begin reading I just feel something down deep in me that is telling me it’s true. I have no doubt that this is the true church and that through Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice, all of us can make it back to our loving Heavenly Father.

I hope everyone has a great week!!!
Love, Elder Cannon


Saying goodbye to Elder Bradshaw and Elder Remund


New companions Elder Garcia and Elder Edwards


My Birthday dinner at the Rodriguez home