Monday, May 11, 2015

May 4th and May 11th Posts

May 4, 2015- Tortino says "Yes" to baptism

Hey Family and Friends!

Miracle May is on its way!

This week we had an awesome lesson with Tortino! We brought him some old clothes that we found so that he has clothes to wear to church. He was really excited. I tried to teach him how to tie a tie but it didn't go over so well, ha ha. He said he'd just watch a video on You Tube to figure it out. We invited him to be baptized on May 30th and he said yes! He's going to have to go to church for three consecutive Sundays to be able to qualify to be baptized on May 30th, since he wasn't able to make it to church yesterday because he had work.  

On Saturday, we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner with members of our ward. It was really cool because the McCoy’s, a sweet member family from Newport News, drove here to Norfolk and took us to breakfast.  It was awesome to see them again. In addition, while we were walking on a street in Norfolk, we ran into an Elder who had served in our mission and finished his 2 years in February. Apparently, he's working this summer for a company going door-to-door and selling security systems. He’s basically he's reliving his mission but instead of telling people about the gospel he's telling them about security systems.

On Sunday, I tried the hottest chili that Hispanic people use, which is called Chile Arbol. Apparently, the ghost chili is a little spicier than the Chile Arbol. However, the member made the sauce with chile arbol in such a way that it wasn't super spicy.

I want everyone to know that I have no doubt in my mind that our church is Christ's Church and that he is at its head. He guides His church today through a living prophet and apostles just as he did in ancient times. I know that He restored his church through the prophet Joseph Smith. Every time we teach a lesson about the Restoration and I share the story of the first vision, I feel the spirit witness to me that it is true.  The Book of Mormon is the evidence of the restoration. I know that the Book of Mormon is true as well. Every time I read the Book of Mormon I feel closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. If there are people out there reading this that aren't sure if all these things are true, or if you are just looking for an answer to any question, go to our Heavenly Father and ask him. We are His children and he doesn't want us to be confused. He wants us to know the truth.

Love, Elder Cannon

May 11, 2015- Transfer Calls

Hey Family and Friends!

Yesterday was definitely the highlight of my week because I got to Skype with my family! It was awesome being able to talk to you! After we Skyped we ate dinner with the Sabillon’s and Martin and Lani. They cooked us some really good Carne Asada. Then we were able to listen in when Jose, one of the Sabillon's sons, Skyped from his mission in Los Angeles.  It was a sweet experience!!

Saturday, we got transfer calls.  I will be staying here in Norfolk. I will continue to be the District Leader.  Elder Garcia will be my new companion.  We are going to be training a new missionary. I interviewed a 9-year-old girl for baptism this week.  It was really hard to interview her because she was really shy and scared. Later that night, our Ward had a Mother's day party that we attended.  Some of the members dressed up as a mariachi band and played some music for the celebration.

Hope everyone has a great week!  Thank you for all the birthday wishes!

Love, Elder Cannon

Teaching Tortino how to tie a tie for church.

Martin is preparing Carne Asada for Mother's Day dinner.


Eating dinner with Martin and Lani and the Sabillon family on Mother's Day


I am helping members with their yard work.


Me with the Mariachi Band