Friday, November 7, 2014

November 3, 2014- Zone Exchange and an Upcoming Baptism


November 3, 2014
Zone Exchange and an Upcoming Baptism

Hey family and friends!!!!

This past week has been an amazing week!!

On Monday night, we had a family home evening night with our entire Spanish Branch at the house of President Hamilton, the stake president. It went super well!

On Tuesday, Elder Remund went over into the Zone leader's area for the day while Elder Terril, another of our zone leaders, came down here to work with me. Elder Terril is an English Speaking missionary so that meant that I was going to do all the talking because he doesn’t speak Spanish. We had some tracting planned and a few scheduled lessons later in the night. At the first home where we tracted, it was really hard for me to have a complete conversation with the woman of the house in Spanish. Normally I'm used to having Elder Remund step in to clarify something I was saying but since Elder Terril was there instead, I was on my own. Notwithstanding, I managed to schedule an appointment with her later in the week. As we began knocking on more and more doors throughout the day, it got easier for me to converse with the Latinos and they could actually understand with me. I had a 15-minute conversation with a gentleman and his wife in front of their home and I was able to give them a book of Mormon and commit them to read it. It was pretty funny because during the entire time we were tracting, Elder Terril basically just stood there and watched me talk because he had no idea what any of the conversation was about. After each conversation he asked me what we talked about.

Elder Terril is an amazing missionary. It’s no surprise to me that he is a zone leader. Whenever we ran into someone who spoke English while we were tracting, which happened a lot, he would be able to pull out scriptures based on what they were saying.  He was really good at getting people to open up and be friendly when at the beginning they weren't.

At 5 p.m. we had a lesson with Jeff which went super well and which was lucky for Elder Terril because that lesson was in English.  Afterwards we had dinner with the Ojeda family. The dinner with the Ojeda’s ended up being pretty awkward though. After we taught them a short lesson after dinner, Brother Ojeda asked us some questions about Joseph Smith and polygamy that he had seen on the news.  He and his family have been converts for about 5 years.   Our discussion ended up focusing on polygamy.  Our answers to their questions didn't really seem to help Brother and Sister Ojeda feel better about what they had seen on TV. We really tried to focus our answer about having faith and relying on their testimony. 

Later that evening, we had an appointment with Edwin and Miriam. I had been a little worried about this appointment since this was going to be our only scheduled appointment in the day that would be only in Spanish. But it ended up going super well.  I taught them the importance of having Noche de Hogar, Family Home Evening, and I committed them to have it.

On Wednesday, we ate lunch at Abuelita's home.  This week ended up being a tender mercy because she didn't have enough time to make the soup so we just had the rice, beans, and chicken. I actually got to enjoy eating this part of the meal for once because normally I'm super full after eating the big bowl of soup that is usually served first. So for once, I left Abuelita's home feeling contently full and not feeling sick because I was too full.

There is a nasty cold that has been passing around our branch this past week, and I ended up getting it.  Thursday just ended up being a sick day and I slept most of the day because I felt really sick.  I am feeling a little better now but I am still sick.

All the missionaries in our mission got Halloween night off after 6 p.m. because President Baker didn't want us to tract or be outside during trick or treating.  Elder Remund and I went to the zone leaders' apartment and we ate pizza, played Apples to Apples and then carved a pumpkin.  It was super fun!

On Saturday we had the social media split!! Some members of our ward walked around with us the whole day and took pictures and videos of us doing missionary work.  Later, they posted the pictures on Facebook and Twitter and used the same hashtag that the Book of Mormon musical used so that when people look that up, pictures of missionaries from all over the mission will pop up. The members of our ward had been very excited about it ever since it was announced. We had some of the young men in our ward take pictures during our study hour.  This worked out great because we were able to have a really good discussion about the Atonement after our personal study time. We also had a great service opportunity where we got to help unload items for the Bishop's Storehouse and then we helped sort the items for the individuals who needed them and helped these people put the items in their car.  All in all, I think the social media split was extremely effective in our branch!

Jeff had his interview for baptism on Saturday with one of the Zone leaders and he passed!! He is going to be baptized this Saturday Nov 8!!! He has asked me to confirm him and give him the Holy Ghost on Sunday. Elder Remund and I are super excited for him!!!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Elder Cannon


Our Ward at Stake President's home for FHE


Playing Apples to Apples with Zone leaders on Halloween night


At the beach with Elder Remund


Sunrise at the beach on transfer day with Zone leaders