Wednesday, November 19, 2014

November 17, 2014 - A Cold Snap and New Investigators


November 17, 2014
A Cold Snap and New Investigators

Hey everyone!

It is starting to get super cold here in Virginia. The past couple days it has been around 40 degrees during the day and by 7 or 8 p.m., when we are still teaching and proselyting, it drops down into the 20’s. I've heard a bunch of people say that this is going to be a super cold winter.  I don't know if I'm ready for that.

This week Elder Remund hit his 6 months until he returns home mark, but here we call it "6 months to sexy" because it’s the 6 months when you need to get it shape physically so that you are in good shape when you get home.  This week I have been pushing Elder Remund super hard in our workouts when we are running and at the zone leaders benching. This "6 months to sexy" thing seems kind of silly to me. I figure why not just do "24 months to sexy” by staying in shape the whole time." It is pretty hard to stay in shape here, because we are served so much food when we eat dinner at member’s homes.  It is considered an insult if you don't eat everything they put in front of you. It is pretty humbling though because these families are pretty poor, yet they still give us so much food to eat when we come over.

We had a slower week in terms of lessons. Our whole district has kind of hit a wall this week because none of our investigators have been progressing. So Elder Remund and I have been hoping that we can find some more investigators to teach. We were able to meet up with Elias again this week.  We had him set for a baptismal date in the first weeks I was here but we had to drop him because our appointments kept falling though because he was super busy at work. He told us that we had come at the perfect time to teach his family cause he and his wife were going to separate. She plans to leave with their kids so hopefully we will be able to help them out.

We also met up with Ramon and Belkis. They had been investigators of the hermanas in our district earlier in the year but they weren't progressing.  Belkis wanted to get baptized, but her husband Ramon didn't really want to hear from the missionaries, so the hermanas had to drop them. We just happened to drop by their house and Belkis told us that she had been hoping that we would come by since her husband was now more receptive to listening to the discussions. We asked the hermanas if we could pick them up as our investigators and they consented. I'm super excited because we’ve got a lesson scheduled for tonight with them. Belkis knows the church is true and wants to be baptized, so Elder Remund and I just need to work on Ramon.

A transfer is scheduled for next week, which means I will probably get a new companion because my 12 week training is complete.  This means that I am not considered a "greenie" any more. I'm hoping I get to stay in the area, but I guess I'll see.

Hope everyone has a good week!

-Elder Cannon


Me in front of the Bay in Yorktown, Virginia