Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Week #94- Lunch with Nike Security


May 16, 2016

Dear Family and Friends,

Everything is going pretty well here in Virginia.

On Saturday, we were walking through an apartment complex. Our appointment had fallen through and so we were walking across the way to visit with some potential investigators. All of a sudden, a guy yelled something in our direction.  He was standing across the street in a Wendy’s parking lot. We didn't think he was talking to us, so we kept walking and turned the corner. Well, the guy chased us down and asked if we could come to Wendy's with him and he would buy us lunch. It turns out that he is a member from Florida who was in Virginia for work.  His coworkers were already seated in the restaurant when we walked in. They were ten LDS guys who all work for Nike Security. They were all huge Polynesian guys that were over 6'4" tall. It was pretty sweet to be able to eat lunch with them.

Saturday night we had a branch party for Mother's day. Alvino, one of our investigators, attended the party with us and and he seemed to have a good time.

One of the gifts that my family gave me for my birthday this year was enough money to choose a nice restaurant to eat dinner at on my birthday with my companions.  I had a pretty good birthday. We went to Red Robin and ate as many bottomless fries as we could. Thanks to my family for all the gifts you sent to me.

We got "welcomed into the hood" this week. We were walking through a pretty ghetto part of Newport News when a guy came up to us and asked us for some money. All three of us didn't have our wallets on us and so we told him that we didn't have our wallets so we didn't have any money to give him. He didn't seem too happy but he told us that that it was smart to not carry our wallets around with us in a place like that because we could be jumped and then he said, "Welcome to the hood."

I've been pretty sick the past few days. It came on super quick. I felt fine Friday morning but by Friday afternoon I was super sick, so I've been sick all weekend. I'm still pretty sick but I think I'm through the worst of it.

Well, I hope that everyone has a great week!

Elder Cannon



Lunch at Red Robin on my birthday


The Farmer in the middle picture (at Red Robin) looks like President Eyring, don't you think? 


Lunch with the LDS Nike Security team