Thursday, February 11, 2016

Week #79- Biking to Our Lessons and Week #80- A New Investigator

Week #79- Biking to Our Lessons
February 1, 2016
Hey Family and Friends,

Well, this week we were on bikes the entire week. We ran out of our monthly mileage allotment, 1,220 a month, and so we borrowed bikes from the English elders. It made teaching a little difficult since most of the Hispanic population live outside of Greenville, so we just biked out there. It got pretty cold at night while we were biking, and we biked a bit in the rain but I got some really good exercise. 

We had a really good lesson with Freddy, the brother of one of the Hispanic members in our branch. We are working with David and Gloria, a married couple from El Salvador. I'm hoping that they will invite us over for dinner and cook us some papusas! We are also teaching Alvaro from Guerrero, Mexico. Alvaro just barely crossed the border a few months ago and so he has some crazy stories of his trip. We taught him for the second time yesterday. He said that what we shared with him the first time we came over has caught his attention and he'd like to come to church next week.

We held a Family Home Evening with the Hispanic members of our ward at the church on Wednesday. We taught a short lesson about the Family Proclamation and then we ate some tostadas.

I hope that everyone has a great week!

Love, Elder Cannon


Biking at night


Week #80- A New Investigator
February 8, 2016
Dear Family and Friends,

It was supposed to snow a lot this week but it all just ended turning into sleet and some freezing rain. We had some appointments that fell through last night, so we ended up knocking on doors in the rain during the Super Bowl.  

One investigator family that we are teaching from El Salvador told us this week that they want to try to cook us some papusas within the next few weeks. Yes!!! I love papusas!

We got a referral from the English elders in our ward for a woman from Costa Rica. I called her and introduced myself and then she asked me if we were the church that did baptisms for the dead. I don’t think I've had someone ask me that question right off the bat so it caught me a little off guard but I told her yes. We had a very interesting lesson with her a few days ago. She told us that she doesn't want to change her religion but I think she's a little curious about our church. She wants us to come back later this week.

I want everyone to know that I know that this is the one and only Church of Jesus Christ. Even though a mission is hard sometimes, I am so grateful for the chance I have to be a missionary and be a representative of my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know he suffered for our sins, and died for us and I know he lives.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Love, Elder Cannon
  

 

Snow


A tractor out in the country