Sunday, December 7, 2014

December 1, 2014- A New Companion

December 1, 2014
A New Companion 

Hey family and friends!

We had transfers on Wednesday this week. Elder Remund and I woke up and drove over to Virginia Beach. After the transfer meeting he headed off for North Carolina and I had to wait for the transfer van with all of the missionaries from North Carolina to arrive. There were a couple of us who were stuck waiting because the transfer van wasn't going to be there in Virginia Beach until 7p.m. that night.

My zone leaders paired me up with another Elder in my zone named Elder Gremmert but he is English speaking. We weren't allowed to leave Virginia Beach while we were waiting and obviously we still had to be doing missionary work so we arranged with some other English Elders in Chesapeake to go on exchanges with them for the day. Their apartment was a couple of miles away and neither Elder Gremmert nor I were authorized to drive so we had to go talk to President Baker. I had an interview with him and then he authorized me to drive for one day. It was super weird driving because I haven't driven a car in forever.  It took me a minute or two to remember that there are some crazy drivers here in Virginia. The Elders that we were meeting live in the same apartment as the Assistants to the President do, and their apartment was super nice.

I ended up tracting with an English Elder named Elder Haddock who went into the MTC 2 weeks before I did. He wasn't feeling well because he had problems with kidney stones the night before and was starting to have pain again, but we were able to go visit a less active member and tract a little bit.

It was pretty funny because I got Elder Haddock really good with a greenie joke that Elder Remund taught me to do when I train a greenie. After we finished tracting in one area, we walked back to the car. I was parked in a spot where I needed to back up. The mission rules say that the companion of the driver has to back the driver up. So I got into the car but he climbed in with me. So I just sat there for a minute to see if he was going to back me up.  When he didn't, I asked him, "Hey Elder, I just want to make sure, if we go into a sketchy area and then I was jumped by a bunch of people on the street and had to fight them, you would back me up, right?" He answered, "Oh yeah, of course." So I just sat there for another minute, and then he got the message and got out of the car and backed me up. It was super funny.

Elder Haddock started to feel sick again so we had to go back to his apartment. I just sat there waiting while he lay in his bed feeling super sick. Eventually, Elder Gremmert and the other Elder he went on the exchanges with came back. Elder Gremmert and I were joking around and talking about how it felt like we were in the movie Inception because we were on exchanges with each other for the day while waiting for our companions and then we went on exchanges with the Elders in Chesapeake.  We were on double exhanges.

The transfer bus ended up being late. They showed up at 8 p.m. My new companion, Elder Morgan is from Highland, Utah so that makes me 2 for 2 on companions from Utah. He is a super cool guy, though. He has been out in his mission for 21 months so he can speak Spanish super well.

My Thanksgiving was super good. We had a turkey bowl with ward members from Hampton and Yorktown.  We had a lot of fun playing.  The ground was super muddy because it had been raining the night before, so everyone got really muddy and everyone was slipping around, which made the game even more fun.

We had dinner with Jeff and his family.  They served the normal Thanksgiving food, all of which was super good. Before we left, Jeff asked us to fill up two plates of food to take home with us for later. Right after our dinner at Jeff’s home, we went to Edwin and Miriam’s home for a second dinner.  They made us pupusas and a Salvadorian and Ecuadorian drink called Quaker.

On Friday we had dinner with our branch president, President Chamberlain and his family. He is in the army, so he lives on Langley Air Force base. As we passed through the main gate, a solider was checking id's and he had an automatic machine gun with ammo strapped all over his body. On the way to his home, President Chamberlain drove by the hanger with all of the stealth planes in it. He told us that the planes that first responded during the 9/11 attacks came from that base.

Iris, one of our Honduran investigators, attended church for the first time yesterday.  She said she would like to be baptized on January 3rd. Hopefully she can meet that date!

Well, I hope everyone has a great week!
Elder Cannon

Turkey Bowl