Monday, December 14, 2015

Week #72- A Baptism and a New Companion


December 14, 2015
Dear Family and Friends,
Last week I forgot to mention that Elder Dickerson and I went to Alan’s baptism. We met him while tracting two months ago and taught him the Restoration lesson. Since he speaks English, we had to give him to the English Elders.  He got baptized last Saturday, December 5!

Elder Dickerson went home Monday afternoon.  It seems weird to think that he has been home for almost a week now. Most of my previous companions are home now with the exception of Elder Garcia and Elder Edwards.  My new companion is Elder Claridge.  He is from Mesa, Arizona and he is a huge fan of the ASU Sun Devils football team just like I am! He was born in October of 1996 so he is the first companion that is younger than I am. All of my other companions have been older. The other two times that I trained a new missionary, my companion Elder Garcia and I trained them together.  This time it’s just me who will do the training. Since Elder Claridge is new he doesn't speak much Spanish yet, so I've done lots of translating to help him understand what's going on. It's helped me realize how much Heavenly Father has helped me learn Spanish these past 16 months.

On Sunday, I translated all of Sacrament meeting into Spanish for our Spanish speaking members.  Then, second hour, I helped Elder Claridge understand what was going on in our Spanish Sunday School class.  Then Elder Claridge and I taught our Elders Quorum class together.  Sunday was crazy but it all turned out pretty good. 

As Christmas nears, I want to invite everyone to remember the true reason why we celebrate Christmas, which is the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for His birth and His sacrifice for each and everyone of us. I know He lives and that as we use His atonement in our lives we will be able to live with Him and our Father in Heaven again.

Love,
Elder Cannon




Alan's Baptism


Me and my new companion Elder Claridge