Wednesday, August 5, 2015

August 3, 2015- A Transfer

August 3, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

Everything is going great here in Norfolk!

We've been trying to encourage Estela, one of our investigators from the Dominican Republic, to pray for many weeks, and we finally we able to get her to pray yesterday!

We had the chance to talk to Martin but it ended up not turning out too well. We ate dinner with just him because his wife Lani wasn't there.  We asked him if we could share a message and he said that we could. We talked to him about the Book of Mormon. Lani showed up part way through the lesson and joined in. During the lesson, Lani called Martin out for not reading the Book of Mormon, which led to a fight between them. So- I just told Martin that we weren't there to convince him that the Book of Mormon was true, nor were we there to force him to read it.  I told him that I know that God loves us and answers our prayers. If Martin really wanted to know about the truthfulness of our message, it wouldn't come from You Tube, it would come from God. I told him that all he has to do is read and ask God and God will answer him. After I said that, we left. We saw Martin yesterday and he's still not that interested, although I know he is or he wouldn't invite us to come over anymore.  He and Lani worked things out.


I had a pretty big shock this past week. We received transfer calls on Saturday. Elder Garcia, Elder Thompson and I are getting split up, so this is my second son that I'm not going to be able to finish training. Elder Garcia turned into a zebra which means he's going to do Spanish work in his new area but he's going to have an English companion so they will do both English and Spanish work. President Baker is transferring me to Greenville, North Carolina as a zone leader! I'm still pretty shocked and a little nervous. My new zone has about 30 people in it, so its pretty big. It will be nice because I won't have to prepare for district meeting every week. We have zone meeting this Friday, and I'm going to have to wing it.  Normally the zone leaders meet with President Baker the week before zone meeting to go over the material, but since I wasn't called as zone leader then, I'm just going to have to go with the flow of whatever is going on in zone meeting. Greenville is one of the bigger cities in the part of North Carolina that is located in our mission. There is a population of 80,000 people so I'm not going to be assigned in the boonies quite yet. I've heard that I might be doing a little bit of English work as well because we cover two English-speaking wards.  One of those English wards has a group of Spanish speakers, so we will be translating the Sunday meetings for them.  It's going to be sad to have to leave everybody here that I've grown so close to in the past 8 months but I'm also excited for the new adventures in Greenville! 

Hope everyone has a good week!!

Love,
Elder Cannon


On the beach at sunrise